Creative industry tax reliefs

Creative industry tax reliefs & credits

Creative industry tax reliefs are a group of eight Corporation Tax reliefs that allow qualifying companies to claim a larger deduction, or in some circumstances claim a payable tax credit when calculating their taxable profits.

This programme of tax relief is designed to promote culturally-relevant productions in the UK, to bring investment into UK productions and also to ensure that the UK retains a critical mass of creative skill and infrastructure.

To apply companies need to:
– be liable to Corporation Tax

– be directly involved in the production and development of qualifying activities

– and, in some cases, pass a cultural test.

Do you think you could be eligible?

To qualify for creative industry tax reliefs, all films, television programmes, animations or video games must pass a cultural test or qualify through an internationally agreed co-production treaty. In all cases, formal certification is required to qualify.

Theatrical productions, orchestral concerts, and exhibitions don’t have to apply for and pass a cultural test.

The eight different tax reliefs are outlined below:

film tax relief graphic

tax relief

read more

Animation tax relief

tax relief

read more

high end television tax relief graphic

television tax relief

read more

children's television tax relief graphic

tax relief

read more

video games tax relief graphic

Video games
tax relief

read more

theatre tax relief graphic

tax relief

read more

orchestra tax relief graphic

tax relief

read more

museums and galleries tax relief graphic

Museums and galleries exhibition tax relief

read more

Are you receiving the full credit you are due?

GovGrant is here to make sure that organisations recognise and receive the full credit due. With GovGrant every step will be easy and transparent.

We know what HMRC are looking for and we work with you to make a successful claim. As GovGrant has expertise across a wide range of tax reliefs and allowances we can also advise you on any other incentives that could apply to you.

GovGrant is authorised to submit a claim to HMRC on your behalf. If HMRC come back with further questions then we will of course deal with them for you.

Your award will come to you as a cheque or a tax allowance – usually within a month of submitting a claim. You only settle your invoice with us once you’ve received the grant or tax relief.

If your organisation works in the creative industries you have nothing to lose by contacting us. But a lot to gain.

If you can dream it, you can do it.

Walt Disney